Here are some of the best and useful Food and Drinks life Hacks from Reddit’s Thread “Life Pro Tips“.
Life Pro Tips:
- If you have to reheat noodles, use butter. The butter will keep the noodles from clumping together.
- Warm up cold and hard rice by putting the rice in a Tupperware, adding a bit of water and throw it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- When washing fruit adds white vinegar to remove bacteria and enhance sweetness for longer.
- Hate the taste of a vitamin? Sip water, hold it, add vitamin, then swallow – no taste!
- Open chip bags upside down. They’ve been sitting upright most of their lives which makes the seasoning settle to the bottom of the bag.
- when making nachos, put a tortilla underneath your chips to turn leftover toppings into a taco.
- Learn to look at food products labeling carefully. “Made with 100%…” is very different to “made from 100%…”
- When you finish a jar of jalapenos, save the juice and refill the jar with dill pickles. Wait a few days, and you’ll have spicy dill pickles.
- When microwaving leftover rice put a glass of water next to it. It will allow the rice to be softer.
- if you have a basil plant take the small fresh leaves first and not the big old ones.
- Don’t store bananas with your other fruits. Bananas give off a lot of ethylene in its ripening process which quickens the ripening process of your other fruits. (or do just that if you do want to ripen them faster). Alternatively, store bananas with your potatoes and onions to halt germination.
- Storing wine for a long time? Always store the bottles laying down to make sure the cork stays wet and thus air tight.
- Want to impress someone with cooking? Make Panna Cotta for dessert. Serve with a tart fruit or berry topping to contrast the sweetness. Looks and tastes classy, but it’s one of the simplest things you can cook.
Food and Drink Life Hacks:
- Bad eggs float. Good eggs sink.
- Buy blocks of cheese and shred it yourself. Companies coat shredded cheese with cellulose to keep it from drying out and molding. Shred your own for freshness, money savings and to avoid eating the wood pulp.
- if you need to wake up early drink a glass of water before bed if you need to wake up very early, drink 2
- You can decongest your nose by exhaling all the air in your lungs and then nodding your head up and down quickly.
- If you’re SO can’t make a decision about where to eat, play the 5-2-1 game. You give them 5 restaurants, they pick two, and you pick from those.
- If you want to “vacuum seal” food, put it in a ziplock bag and submerge it in a bowl of water with the bag open above the water. The water will push the air out of the bag, and you can close it without any left inside.
- Potatoes are cheaper than Ramen, have more nutritional value, and will keep you full longer